Tuesday, August 24, 2010

In Search of Healthy Eggs

The recent egg recall caught my eye, particularly since I eat about 6 egg whites and a yolk or two every day. Over time eggs have become one of my favorite sources of protein. I would even go so far to say that when I don't feel like eating meat or figuring out appropriate combinations of plant protein, I just reach for some eggs, any time of day.

The first thing I did when I saw it online was to look at the FDA egg recall list. Thankfully, none of the eggs we had purchased were on the recall. It did make me wonder though, how do people who don't have regular access to the internet and missed the newscast know there's been an egg recall? We're assuming everyone knows, and that the grocery stores are promptly removing the offensive eggs from the shelves. I'm a little skeptical about that when I have to check expiration dates so closely in my local grocery and warehouse stores to keep from buying something outdated.

Let's assume the eggs in your fridge don't have salmonella. That's a good thing, but it doesn't end there. You could still be eating all sorts of things you don't even know you're eating.

So today an article appears on the internet regarding how to buy the healthiest eggs. Great! I eagerly opened the article and read through it, only to realize at the end that the article title was deceiving. You're not really given an answer on how to buy the healthiest eggs. Disappointing, but there was some good information and a few good links in the article that you can use to come to your own conclusions. (By the way, I don't really find the linked article that states the recall isn't expected to grow particularly comforting since there have already been 550 millions eggs recalled). Here's the article: Worried about bad eggs? How to buy the healthiest onesSadly, the most informative part of the article is on how labeling continues to deceive us. Be sure to read the true definitions for the following:


cage-free
free-range
free-roaming
organic
natural
pastured
Omega-3-enriched
certified humane
United Egg Producers Certified



LocalHarvest is a helpful link in the article where you can find local farmers and markets near you. From what I can deduct, there isn't a good store to shop or brand to buy when it comes to getting eggs. Instead, it sounds like we need to be looking for farmers who pasture their chickens (for real) and feed them organically.

Guess I'm going to have to go buy my own baby chicks and raise them. I'm thinking my dog & neighbors won't like that. Hmmm...I do have a big backyard though...

Other posts you may find interesting:
Food Inc., The Movie Review

No comments: