Tuesday, July 13, 2010

P90X Day Two, Plyometrics

My first time doing Plyometrics. Wow. Let me say that again. Wow. Did I say Wow?
I'm just letting it all hang out here, so let me say that I had seen this video prior to doing it and I was really intimidated by it before I got started. I think I took about 10 huge deep breaths before I even pushed play and went through the intro. But now that I got through it, I want to jump around and yell BRING IT!!! You would think that having been an aerobics queen in the eighties the thought of jumping around for a solid hour would not have rattled me, but it did.

It is one relentless video. Here's what you need: heart rate monitor, towel, water, and preferably something rubbery or shock absorbant to jump on. Rather than dwell on my heart rate or try to stay in a specific zone, I set a threshold for mine. When my monitor started beeping I brought my activity down a notch or paused the video, marched in place, grabbed my towel and took a drink of water. When I stopped beeping I was at it again. I had to do this a few times! This kept me working at a high intensity, but also protected me from pushing too hard. You do repeat moves, but the fun part is that there are so many that it doesn't get boring and you get some relief by changing moves. Also, when you repeat a move, the second time around you know exactly what is coming, so you can prepare and your form is likely to be more precise. There are some cool sports moves at the end, and any of you who know me know that I love anything that simulates a sport without me actually having to handle a ball!

I would say this is one tough workout, even for people who are well-conditioned. Without a doubt it is one that will push you. Oddly enough, I ended up feeling glad that I had quite a bit of room for improvement because I wanted this program to be a challenge.

Here's the key: some of you will have to get your mind AROUND it, and some of you will have to get your mind OUT of it (like me). 


Getting your mind AROUND it.
You don't have any injuries or any true physical inabilities. You got by the fit test. You've read and understand all the serious language at the beginning of the P90X video. But still, you're the person who thinks from the very beginning that you can't do this, so why even try? Why did I buy this? I must be out of my mind. I haven't exercised like this in years, if ever. I'm going to kill myself.  I guess if I can't hang with it, I'll just turn the DVD player off and walk away. There's no way I'm going to be able to do 5 minutes of this.

I say STOP! Get your mind around it. You CAN do this. Does that mean you're going to hit play and do every single move that Tony Horton and back-up exercisers do with precision and speed? No, probably not. My very favorite Tony Horton mantra: Do your best and forget the rest. If they are doing jumping jacks and all you can do it shift your weight from foot to foot, do it! If they are doing two step Heismans and all you can do it lift one foot off the ground, do it! If they are doing leaps and bounds and all you can do right now is jump 6 inches forward with both feet, do it! Take the word CAN'T out of your vocabulary and replace it with the word WILL. I will do it, I will eventually do it, I will do what I can do now. And guess what? The more room there is for improvement, the more challenge you're going to get out of this. This isn't about all or nothing, it's about your best.

Getting your mind OUT of it.
This is a little different. If you struggle with this, I'm sorry, that means you're afflicted with the same thing I am. You think you can do it, you're motivated, you're committed. But you're focusing too hard on what you can and can't do. Release your mind, grab your stuff, push play, and do it. Work your way through. Keep your form, but don't obsess and ruminate on every little thing. It's okay if you don't do it perfect. Have fun already! Forget the crap from the day, the crap you have to deal with tomorrow, and just get in there and bust your butt. You will feel good afterwards and you'll be glad you did it!

No comments: