Monday, July 12, 2010

P90X Day One!


After doing all of my prep work, I was ready to start today. I have to say that I am no stranger to the gym and yet I felt somewhat anxious about starting this program. Not sure why except that I had some notion in my head that kept telling me I might not be able to do it. Not true!

One of my favorite things Tony Horton says is "Do your best and forget the rest." That is the perfect way to approach this program. So I tackled it with my very best today and didn't do too shabby! By the end of the workout I'd completed 111 push-ups, 50 pull-ups, 50 rows, 20 flys and about 144 reps of ab work. This was Chest/Back and Ab Ripper X day. The volume is incredible, but the time goes by fast and there are several grip variations on the pull-ups as well as arm stances and forms on the push-ups, so it's not tedious.

I'm already in love with the workout sheets because you can easy record your reps as soon as you complete each exercise. Do this! It will be very important and motivating. Now that I have this down, the next time I do this workout I'll be able to work hard and try to beat what WAS my personal best. I have no doubt I can do it.

A bit of advice; even if you're a seasoned gym rat the first time you do any of these workouts I'd take the time to sit down the evening before and watch it all the way through. You won't be as intimidated by the moves, and if there are some that are unfamiliar you can practice it. The videos give some instruction but they move fast, so there's not a lot of time spent on technique. You will be shown modifications which are helpful, but if you watch it the night before you can pause and study the move as needed.

I'm already seeing a critical point behind this program. It's not for the totally unconditioned but it is for the determined. There are some very specific cautionary statements at the beginning of each video. Check with your doctor, don't do this program if you've been previously injured or have certain physical issues and do something different before you tackle this if you're very unconditioned. But if you can pass the minimum tests and you get an okay from your doc, this program takes attitude and determination. The whole purpose is to do your very best, every time and shoot for improvement. If you do that you can't lose.

1 day down, 89 to go!

No comments: