Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tracking Weight Loss with the bodybuggSP

Announcement! I finally made the decision to purchase a bodybuggSPTM. It arrived today in the mail and I have it charging right now. As I use it I will provide feedback via this blog. I plan to begin using it tomorrow morning.

It took me a while to make this decision due to two factors. 

Factor 1: Cost
Honestly I didn't want to spend this much money, but after reading quite a bit of information and contemplating a Polar heart rate monitor I went with the bodybuggSPTM. I caught it on sale for a holiday special and so I paid $199 with free shipping (about a $50 savings). This new version (as opposed to version 3) will sync with my iPhone. That seemed to be the smartest thing for me because I wanted real time data but didn't want to have to wear a wristband. I like my own watch.

Factor 2: Calories in, calories out
It is absolutely true that weight loss in its simplest description boils down to calories in vs calories out. If you consume more calories than you burn and therefore walk around, or may I say sit around, in a calorie surplus you will surely gain weight. If you break even, you will maintain your weight. If you create a deficit, you should lose weight. Sounds simple, right? Sure, if scale weight is your only concern. Most of you who read this blog know that I believe there is a lot more to it than that. I believe in changing your body composition (lean mass/body fat) rather than just focusing on scale weight. That's a blog post for another day, but I want to be clear that I'm not dissing the importance of getting excess body weight off, but I'm also not shifting from my stance that losing body fat is more important than losing body weight as the end goal.

Side bar (because I must): your weight on the scale is ONE piece of the picture. Scale weight can fluctuate wildly within a 24 hour period of time and is impacted by what you eat, your bowel habits, fluid intake or loss, hormones, menstrual cycle, etc. Don't use it as your sole measurement of success.

Back to this post. So I'm sure you're thinking, okay brainiac, then why did you spend that kind of money on something to help you track calories? 
Two reasons. 

Reason 1: Need for data
I have hypothyroidism and while I've yet to prove it I feel certain my basal metabolic rate is as slow as a snail. It's a challenge to figure out my optimal calorie range. Standard calculations do not seem to work for me. If I eat too little food or carbs, or if I don't time my food right I bonk during intense workouts and take longer to recover. If I eat the typical recommended amount of food or carbs, my weight will not come off and stay off. I seem to have to work harder than the average Jane in order to see the same type of results. Mind you I am not complaining, I just want more data to understand what is going on with my body. This is one way to get as much real data as possible. It's a fine line and I am trying to hit it just right. Somewhere between killing myself to get lean and mean and relaxing a little and getting soft and pudgy. Sigh. So don't think I don't understand your struggles. It's a journey for all of us.

Reason 2: Need for consistency
I'm a tracker. When I track things I do well, when I don't track things I slide off course. As much as I would like to be an intuitive, free spirit eater, the need for constant feedback, data, organization and consistency is woven into my genetic make-up. I teach people how to think on their feet, make good food choices when faced with bad ones and how to be prepared to gracefully handle the most unexpected sabotage. This works for me as well, but until I can fully grasp what my body requires I need data. It keeps me consistent and holds me accountable.

More to come on the bodybuggSPTM.
If you use a bodybuggSPTM, leave a comment with your thoughts!

Links in this article are to provide the reader with additional information about the.bodybuggSPTM. I purchased this product without prompting with my own funds and do not receive any compensation for the purchase of this product through a link. 

2 comments:

Jay said...

I bought the SP recently myself and love it. I bought it because I was tired of guessing my calorie intake and I am glad I did. I discovered the calculations for my BMR were having me eat way more than my body actually burns. I wrote a review which you can read here BodyBugg SP Review

Kate Lifecell Reviews said...

So appreciate hearing about the review on BodyBugg. I am a paper tracker for the moment but I think this would be a great tool. Wonderful blog.

Lifecell