Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome 2009

As much as I enjoy the last quarter of every year, it's always exciting to me when the new year finally arrives. We get to take the best of 2008 with us, put the rest to bed and begin a nice, fresh start. If you've not yet developed or revised your fitness and nutrition goals for 2009, do it this weekend! If you have, I'd love to see some comments on what you will be focusing on this year.

My challenges with eating and workouts over the past 4 weeks in particular reminds me that this is a journey. Notice my blog name is "get fit with kelley" and not "get fit like kelley". I have come a long way and have a long way to go. However, I love the process and am looking forward to the opportunity of sharing it. If I do it right I should consistently achieve my goals, but will never quite arrive. There is always a higher level!

Two weeks ago when I sprained my ankle I made some conscious decisions: I would rehab my ankle, not allow myself to get frustrated or discouraged by trying to do a workout program I could not stick to, I would relax my eating standards (but not go crazy with it) and I would rest Jan 1-3. Today I feel the brain break was well worth it, my ankle is steady, I'm feeling rested and I'm ready to start my new workout program on Sunday. On the other hand, the relaxed eating was enjoyable, but not really worth it. Anytime I take a break from a conscious eating pattern, I feel like I have to detox from it. It never takes long, but it's really not worth it.

I will continue to post on my own progress and share anything I learn along the way. Tomorrow I will be measuring inches, scale weight and body fat and think I will even take some beginning-of-2009 pictures.

Happy new year!

No comments: